Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Cooler than the flip side

Uncle Kracker sings it best in his song "Smile".  ATM just makes me smile.

Honestly I really was not sure when he came along if I was ready to date.  NoDIY really soured the grapes of dating.  I had turned back on an online profile that I had but had not done anything with it and really was on the fence about if I wanted to even be on there.  But, then he messaged me and he seemed too perfect and I thought, maybe?  At worst, I would lose two hours of my life, to never get back?  It could not hurt, could it?

Well, as they would say, the rest has been history...so far.  He has been the well kept secret to a certain degree.  I mean we have dated for four months now and he is just now making the blog...that is a pretty good secret.

For our first meeting/date, we went to a wine bar and had a couple of glasses of wine and just talked.  I should point out that I was way under dressed compared to the suit he was sporting, as he had come straight from work.  I will say that it was my first experience having someone pull a chair out for me, in a good way.  After the wine, we walked across the street to a Louisiana cafe for some Cajun.  We shared some appetizers and just talked the night away.  It felt like we were there for hours but do not think it was more than two hours.

He is one of four boys and grew up in Philadelphia.  Both of his parents and a brother have passed and for different reasons does not have much contact with his other two brothers.  It truly is probably the one thing that is completely different in our lives.  He played five years of minor league baseball.  Part of his contract allowed him a free education so he made the most of it!  After the minor league baseball came a stint on the pro golf circuit.  No idea how one manages that since the swings are completely different but who am I to judge.  He is now in the real world with the rest  us and working the ranks up in the banking world, hence the name ATM.  He is a church man and attends services weekly at St. David's Episcopal Church.  I have never been but hear it is not a far cry from the Catholic world.

Since he started with Texas Star Bank a few months ago, the time that we do get to spend together is not as much as I would like but at the same time, so absolutely enjoy the realm of just dating and taking things as they come.  No matter how much time we have together, or what we do, we always have a good time and end up laughing.  Dates have ranged from brunch on Sunday's after we both go to Church to running errands that we have to going to this little dive bar to have drinks and watch the old & the young dance.

I truly have went 360 with ATM from where I was.  I have a true gentleman that opens doors, pulls out chairs, carries the shopping bags (I really want to test how far he'll go on this one) and orders for me.  He works hard and is passionate about his career.  He has a faith and practices it.  He has his own place and a dog.  He does not feel it is necessary to drink all the time and alcohol does not consume the relationship.  (This makes Momma Bear happy). 
Although there is one qwirk I hope someone can explain...I still do not understand the concept of why I have to walk to the inside of him on sidewalks, etc.  I guess it's so he gets hit first?  But he is pretty insistent on it, so I just go with the flow and learn to give up some of that independence. 

He definitely has been the positive I have needed in my life and the rock that has helped me with the tough times we have gone through with my little brother.  He has been stead fast and has not made a run for the hills when NoDIY went crazy, instead asked if I needed anything.  It's easy to say I am truly blessed for him entering my life and he makes me happy.


"Don't know how I lived without you
'Cuz every time that I get around you
I see the best of me inside your eyes
You make me smile
You make me dance like a fool
Forget how to breathe
Shine like the gold
Buzz like a bee
Just the though of you can drive me wild

Oh, you make me smile"

No comments: