Thursday, July 4, 2013

Independence Day

They always say it is out with the old to make room for the new.

Well, I don't think there could be a more fitting day to blog about the old so I can start sharing things about life with the new.

Oh , NODIY.  Where does one begin. Honestly, until September of last year, things were good.  We had our ups and downs but overall, things were good.  Of course, I had some pretty thick blinders on but what did I know.

Our trip back to Nebraska in September was not what I had ever hoped for or imagined.  At that point in life, I imagined a future with him.  But, you take two alpha males, stir in a lot of booze and how quickly can things get so ugly so fast.  Things were said, people became offended and punches were thrown.  It was the beginning of a long end.

NODIY headed back to St. Louis to finish up his job in the wee hours of that following Monday morning.  It was a job that continued to drag on and on and on.  Of course, through the course of things, I some how was the one that was to blame.  I don't know how or why but that was his thinking.  I was suffering from Bells Palsy and he wanted to do nothing to do with me.  He wouldn't take my calls, rarely answered texts, it was a mess.  I was trapped in limbo of not knowing if we were going to have a future or if we were.

Eventually he made his way back home mid-December.  Ironically he came home without a dime in his pocket from a job that he lived at his sister's house to do.  He also didn't send a dime my way during that time either.  But when you live together, you at least have to try, or so I thought.  That was what relationships that were meant to last do, if the going gets tough, you work at it.

By the end of January, things had not improved at all.  His mom, niece and great niece came for a visit to help him with his business taxes.  Ironically he was too busy with work, aka sitting on the back porch smoking cigarettes and talking on the phone, to help with anything.  I, on the other hand, was working 8+ days and coming home to cooking dinner, watching the baby and entertaining.  The last night of the visit we were laying in bed and he just blew up at me about how dirty the house was and how embarrassing it was that his mom had to clean and how rude I was to them.  I went to the couch and he came out and started yelling at me in full ear shot of his family.  I was done.

The next day was the Super Bowl and he thankfully he left.  I knew things were done and he just needed to move out.  I was treated to him coming home at 3:30 in the morning and him feeling the need to wake me up in his drunk state.  It started with we need to fix things to quickly turning to how terrible I was, my family was, blah, blah, blah when he didn't get the answers he wanted.  I was finally able to get him out of the room and lock the door but it didn't slow him down.  Threatening me, threatening the family, the list went on.  I just wanted sleep and I also knew that calling the police would have made matters that much worse.  Eventually I fell back asleep around 6 am.

The following day was made making calls.  Sadly he was a squatter ($500 in 6 months for bills) and he had rights.  I had to give him 30 days notice to vacate before I could evict.  Pretty sad in my mind but not much I could do.  So, that evening, I kindly served him his eviction notice.  He had 30 days to get out.

It was the longest 30 days of my life.  I was treated to at least a couple more nights like the Super Bowl night as clearly he forgot I was the one that worked a real job.  I knew things were done and how different we really were.  He was LAZY to a new level.  He could have made great money at what he did if he started a day before 9 or 10 in the morning and actual did work.  My family will tell you the horror stories of how he left me mow the lawn in my walking boot while he relaxed...he was tired from working so hard.  Clearly by the end of the 30 days, I was done and wanted him out and wanted to move on.

Of course, he was not going to make it easy.  With a day left in his 30 days, he was showing no signs of moving out.  So, I did what I had to do and went crazy on him.  I started the texting early in the morning and by noon, he was packing his crap to move out.  It's amazing how much 'stuff' he had that was of no value.  So much stuff he needed a U-haul.  By 7 pm, 4 pick up truck loads and a U-Haul later, he had his stuff out.  I cried and mourned the good parts of the relationship that we had. 

I wish that was where things ended but they didn't.  He continued to show crazy colors.  He still had a few things that needed to be picked up.  He showed up at 10:30 at night, full knowing I was in bed threatening me with mail fraud because I had a stack of his mail.  I just wanted done, so I opened the garage door and started hucking into the driveway the shit that remained.  After it was out, I told him to leave and never contact me again.  Then he had the nerve to ask if he could come inside to see the dogs.  Go to Hell were my words.  Two weeks after coming back to get the last of his stuff, he started texting me and telling me what a terrible person I was, how fat I was, how he had some hot new girlfriend and they were in love and going to get married and have kids, blah, blah blah.  I kept asking him to stop, he wouldn't and well now I have a new cell number and know I will never hear from him again. 

The funny part of the whole story is my Hispanic neighbor asked me where he went.  I told him we were done and he was gone for good.  If he ever saw him near the house, call the police.  He then proceeds to tell me how he told his wife that one month of him moving in, he knew we wouldn't last.  He said "They no last".  She told him that was nice.  He said, "Look at her garage...before he move in...meticulous...he move in, stuff, crap everywhere.  You can't walk through it.  They no last."

The Thursday after he moved out, March 14th, a new chapter began with ATM.

Here is to Independence Day, to a day where we celebrate Freedom, I celebrate Freedom with NoDIY and the new found Freedom I have with ATM.

No comments: