Wednesday, April 13, 2011

DeBT eLiMiNaTOR

Meet my new super hero, the Dixie DeBT eLiMiNaTOR.  (I'll just call her Dixie for short!) She is a mean, lean fighting machine that beats debt into submission.

So in reality she doesn't exist.  I received a link yesterday that allows you to create your own superhero.  So, when I saw that one of the chest logos was a $, I just tweaked it to the $ necklace used to battle the evil, evil debt and credit companies. 

Since my departure from the EX, debt has been a thorn in my side.  Some days I really wonder how I managed to buy a house.  Some days I wonder if I really should of bought the house.  Prior to getting the house, I was making serious strides beating things down.  Well, then the recession hit and my focus moved more towards my house.  While I didn't take on any more debt, I started turtling on the debt and then the credit card companies became evil and made life more difficult for me.  I mean, how will you ever win a race when they feel you should pay 29.99% interest on a balance.  You are freakin kidding me was heard from me a LOT.

Only a select few know how bad the situation really is.  I am so grateful that Runner gets it and I can share the struggles of money.  (She and her husband are also banishing their debt and trying to build their financial future too.)  Honestly, I see the debt is my biggest failure.  Yes, at the end of the day, a LOT of it stemmed from my time with the EX but I wasn't free and clear before I met him either, so I can't blame him entirely.  Even though I was an accounting major, managing money was my biggest flaw!  I always wanted what I couldn't afford and would buy it anyway.  Look at my baby Explorer (that I still miss today!).  It was an impusle buy that ended up with a 600+ car payment.  I mean, who does that?!?!  At the end, I owned it free and clear and maybe that was why I was so sad to see it go!  However, it defined my poor choices of money!

But, what has been done is done and I can't change it.  What I can change is my future and I am doing that baby step by baby step every day for a healthy financial future!  Hopefully I can pass along some of the wisdom that I have learned along the way and who knows - if I dig out of this mess - I might even be able to write a book.  Hahaha.  Of course, I couldn't do any of this without my friends on the WIR site!  They keep me focused and while I was away most of the year, this year has reinforced what a positive effect they have in my life and how much progress I can make when I apply myself and keep posting on their site.  If you have never heard of WIR and have debt of any kind, I suggest you head over if you need motivation to be free and clear of the chains that bind called debt.

Every day is a learning experience of choices that are made that define my financial future and I learn from them.  If you don't know where to begin, the first step is a budget!  I think Dave Ramsey said it best when he said "Spend your money on paper before it comes in for the month versus wondering where it all went at the end of the month." 

I have been consistent with my budget this year and making it the decision maker of how I spend my money.  Of course that reasoning was why my Vegas trip was cancelled but in the end, I will be more grateful!  So far, through March, I have kicked 4.4% of my debt to the curb and hope that things will begin to snowball in the next few months!  I have to rebuild my emergency fund back up after Finn wiped it out, but things will start rolling. 

So, if you ask me to do something and I say no, or suggest something else in place of it, please know it is not anything personal, it is just my alter ego Dixie DeBT eLiMiNaTOR reminding me who is in charge.  Take for example the grass.  Rather than putting some much needed sod down in my backyard, I think that $200 will be better spent obtaining my next credit card $0!  The sixth zero of this journey is so, so close!

No comments: