Thursday, April 14, 2011

They Just Don't Get It!

Warning - today is a rant day. 

Some days I really get why some of the mangers we have at my part time job went into retail and skipped college, they just don't get it.  I just want to tell them, walk two weeks and my shoes and then let's talk.  Of course, they will have some whitty answer and then will forget we had that conversation.

On a weekly basis, it is a fight to make sure they don't give me more than 20 hours in a week.  For budget purposes, I need to average 13 as things are set right now.  But, most weeks I have to remind them that I have more than 20 and I don't want that.  21 hours, 24 hours isn't bad for the average person.  That said, they forget I already work 40 hours if not more at the full time job.  I don't need a few extra hours at the part time job.

So Monday night was a classic.  There were four closing cashiers.  I was the only one that works there part-time and has another full time job.  The others have it as their only job.  When day light savings time started, Lowe's started opening at 6 am and staying open until 10 pm.  In reality it is dumb because they don't change the door signs and most customers don't know unless they happen to stop by.  For the worker bees, it means that most nights we don't get to go home until 10:30 or later.  However, there are always a few that are scheduled to be off at 10.  On Monday, when two of the 3 asked if they could leave because they were only scheduled until 10, the manager (who does schedules) asks they Head Casher (who also does the schedules) why is Jenn scheduled until 10:30 and not one of the first to leave.  EXCELLENT question smithers.

Then came last nights conversation.  I originally was scheduled vacation from Sunday through Easter because I was going to Vegas and just wanted off for Easter.  Anyway, since Vegas was cancelled, I told the manager that she could add back in my Monday & Wednesday night shifts.  Well, some how that also turned into adding my Sunday shift back in too.  Our mystery shop for the month was not good and it was because the cashiers failed that day so now we have a mandatory meeting on Sunday.  Last night I told the manager that I would either come in to work the five hour shift or come in for the meeting, not both, her choice.  She then proceeds to tell me how it is her day off too and she has to come in, blah, blah, blah.  Lady I don't give a rats ass if you are in a different country and have to come back is really what I wanted to say.  I'll remind them Sunday when I leave I am not coming back and if they write me up, I don't care.  There is a first for everything I suppose.

I am so tired of this battle with them!  Things are finally starting to roll, slowly, with Scentsy so maybe I can build up steam there and tell Lowe's where to go.  I am making an effort to make it go which I haven't done in the past and it is amazing the difference it makes.  Anyone interested in being an Independent Consultation for Scentsy?  It is great extra income and pretty easy!  Cheap start up costs too!

No comments: