Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Blogging Project - Day 17

Highs & Lows of This Past Year


Funny how this one just happens to fall or at least I get to, right after the drama of Monday. However, at the end of the day, really Monday's drama didn't bother me. Based upon Facebook, I gathered that some people thought I questioned the fact that I was 37, single and no kids. In reality, I don't. Does it bother me some days? Absolutely! Does it define me? Not really. I know that with my history in life, the fact that I stand before you today, right where I am, that is a HUGE win for me. Most would of crumbed and gave up on life a long time ago. I am sure like the rest of the individuals out there, there are going to be good days and there are going to be bad days, but I will get through them. God's plan in there and everything will fall into place when the time is right.

 
So my highs for the past year, I would probably say there are two. First is Maddox. I mean - how can you not LOVE this guy? He is a doll and I can't wait to see him in a few weeks. I hope he still knows who Auntie Jenn is; it has been forever since I have Skyped with them. Then again, he probably wouldn't sit still for it anyway. The other high for me was having all the company at Thanksgiving time at my house. It probably doesn't seem like a big deal to have your parents and brother's family visit, but it was huge for me. It was the first trip that my brother made and hope that I don't have to wait another 3 years for it. It is hard when you move so far away from family and friends. Everyone wants to know when you are coming home and going to see them, but very few have made plans to see me. I am forever grateful to the ones that have come to visit, even multiple times! I can attest that that route from Nebraska to Texas flows both directions. It is hard to hear about how great of vacations everyone takes but then I don't think they realize that in order to honor their request to come see them, it requires me to use my vacation time to go to Nebraska - not some place new that I want to see. I digress - sorry.

I think my biggest low this past year has just been my job. When I started here 4 years ago, I was so happy and loved what I was doing. I was in a proactive position versus reacting. I didn't get someone complain or whining on a daily basis. I won't get into the people that are upset and just plain rude. It wears on a person after awhile and I know that it impacts how I do my job. I was warned about the good 'ole boys club before I moved down here and while I wanted to believe it didn't exist, it has shown its ugly head more and more this past year. I mean, in one week I closed 66 tickets of the teams 73. You do the math. But then, when I assign a ticket to someone because they choose to ignore it for a hour before anyone came in, we get yelled at. Whatever. I am so over this job and ready to move on. I want something that challenges me and not a job that someone with a high school degree could do. Or one where one person does 75% of the work and the rest get promoted and raises because they are in the "guys club".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was blessed last night in that it was a "quiet" night. I left work a little bit early so I could run the Soda tabs over to the Ronald McDonald house from work. I love visiting this place and really hope that one day I can do more volunteering there, it is such a great cause. I got home and caught up on Y&R. I had told myself that I wasn't going to watch it to the weekend but I was so exhausted with all the drama from the day before and the weekend, I just needed couch time! I finally headed out for a run around 8:15 with the dogs, when it had finally "cooled" off. I think it was in the low 90s at that point. I do believe that I will freeze when I get to Nebraska in a few weeks. I mean, this morning it was 81 at 7 am. I don't know if the high is that there. LOL. The good news is that I just barely missed my 11 minute mile! So, hopefully tomorrow I can hit that. I was going to try and run this morning but the snooze guy one out! Have a great Wednesday!

No comments: