Sunday, March 22, 2009

Sinus Infection and Spicewood Springs

Since before Christmas, I have been battling a sinus infection. That never ending sinus infection that will not go away. The good news is that it doesn't leave me with a terrible sinus headache that normally comes with it. Instead I have a feeling of an ear infection or at least that my ear is floating in fluid. Then there is the sore throat that comes with it draining down my throat. The doctor would put me on antibiotics and it would go away while I was on them and a week or two after but always comes back, usually worse. I just got done with a 21 day round of stuff that was suppose to even help people exposed to anthrax. Plus steroids. Well once I was done, they repeated the x-ray to find that the infection is still there. At this point they are recommending surgery. I go meet with an Ear, Nose & Throat specialist on Monday to determine what the next steps are. :(

But the upside is that hell or high water I will do this triathlon - I have worked too hard to NOT do it. So - they doctor's can wait. Hopefully they come around to my way of thinking. Now - in the mean time - I am going to do everything I can to keep training. So - if that means going for allergy shots every other day - then I go. I even have resorted to mowing the lawn with a mask so the grass pollen doesn't trigger anything. I am sure it is a sight to see!

So on to Spicewood Springs. Saturday was a group ride where we met at the Marriott before we headed out on a planned route by our coach. Now if you are not familiar with Austin, this is the part of town where the hills start. I cannot describe the hills - but definite a mix of "rollings hills" and hills that kill. I knew I was in trouble as soon as I saw the planned route and it included Spicewood Springs Road. This road is a fun road to ride in a car - a bike not so much. I'll just put it this way - one of the hills is at LEAST a 10% grade. Sucked like no other. Plus my allergies/sinus' were bothering me which resulted in the asthma to kick in. I hadn't had to worry about that piece in so long that I wasn't prepared and didn't have my inhaler along. Not a good thing. It wasn't bad - just a wake up call that resulted in a momentary panic attack. I felt like the fool that had the slow poke pace car behind her to make sure that no one was left behind. One of the mentors had to stay behind with the last one - that was ME. Hated every moment of it but at the end of the day - I finished the loop in an hour!

No comments: