Friday, January 27, 2012

More Changes

You know, I think I am tired of changes and challenges.  Can I just have normal for awhile?  Of course, when I look at some of the things that my friends are going through, my changes don't seem that bad. 

So what am I talking about you ask?  Well back in October I went to the doctor to go through my test results in which my blood sugar was higher than what it should be.  Well, after 3 months of exercising and trying to lose weight, it was time to go back to the doctor on Monday.

After going through the generals, the first thing they did was a finger prick to check my blood sugar level.  Now, keep in mind I was fasting but they kept asking me if I had been fasting.  I knew that wasn't good, so I fired of a text to my mom to see what her's normally was since she is diabetic.  She responded that it was at it's highest 113 but usually lower than that.  Well, my number read 115.  Uggh!

So, after confirming once again that I was fasting, they did the big needle blood draw to check my A1C.  Now, this number measures your blood sugar level over a 3 month period.  My first number was 5.7.  My understanding is that a normal person usually averages 5.5, but the number should fall within in 4 and 5.9.  So, I wasn't terrible the first time.  However, yesterday I got the call that my number was 6.0 this time.  So, it was high.  I secretly think it was my mom's Christmas goodies that threw my numbers off.

But, in any event, I am now labeled as Pre-Diabetic.  Given my family's history for it with my Grandma, Mom, Uncle and little brother all having it, they are not treating this diagnosis lightly.  Especially since all of my numbers have gone up in three months and not down. 

Definitely will have a lot of learning to do in the next few weeks and months in regards to what I can and cannot do.  I will have to take classes to learn about things, meet with a dietician and learn to take my blood sugar levels on a daily basis.  CHANGE...uggh!  Of course, it also means that I am learning to navigate my insurance and what will be covered, won't be covered, etc. 

On the bright side, I do have a very supportive partner in all of this.  NoDIY is on board and wants to know what he can do to help and what he needs to do different on the nights that he cooks.  (Have I mentioned I am spoiled?)  We have also set some goals as far as weight loss goes so that will also be nice to have that support in the house.  I think that I am doing really well from an exercise stand point in that I run 3 times a week and those run/walks are now up to 4.5 miles in an hour.  Not land record speed but I am getting it done.  Then, on the nights that I don't run, the dogs get a 2 mile walk.  Now we just need to learn the food piece and need to lose some weight to get things going in the right direction.

No comments: